Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Maggots Do What!?

By Cameron O.


               Going back to the site that always intrigues me, ScienceDaily, I found a recent article that is amazing to me. Using the summary from the site; "In a proof-of-concept study, researchers show that genetically engineered green bottle fly larvae can produce and secrete a human growth factor -- a molecule that helps promote cell growth and wound healing." This was so random for me to hear that I did not know whether or not to believe it. I mean come on, something like a maggot, the smelly guys on dead people or inside of trash cans, those little guys (another breed of common maggots) are able to use their own bodies and energy to heal humans. It was crazy to think about.


               Here is a question for you, You got a decent size gash on your arm so you go to the hospital. Now, I know that the healing voodoo of these little guys would not be this impressive but let me just ask you anyway. If the doctor gave you a choice of putting your arm in a case of maggots (as seen above) for an hour of the wiggling around all slimy and gross, or stitches that lasted three weeks, which would you choose? I would take the maggot bath every time.

               The article was just a reminder about perspective, these little guys that no one seems to like have a super power like Wolverine, the Hulk, or Deadpool to heal us faster.The world is full of suprises and incredible things, most of which may never even be discovered if we don't look in every possible area.

               The article is important because it shows that with enough investigation, we may be able to find things that will change our lives and everyone from then on. We as scientists have to keep exploring.

4 comments:

  1. By: Janae S.
    Very interesting post, I never knew maggots could be used to heal humans. But I personally wouldn't let maggots wiggle around on my arm, I think I would just get stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response, I would rather heal quickly.

      Delete
  2. This is very cool! I would be a little disgusted by letting maggots heal me but if it works then sure! Is this type of healing used today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This type of healing is not used today as they are still testing and studying the topic.

      Delete